The Barbados Reiki Association’s Medical Outreach (BRAMO) was set up in 2012 to work towards the goal of having Reiki accepted and used in healthcare institutions in Barbados, as it is in many healthcare facilities around the world. This is a natural extension of the Association’s aim of spreading the knowledge of Reiki more widely.
The current chair of BRAMO is Sonia Johnson, Vice President of the Barbados Reiki Association.
Since its inception, BRAMO has undertaken a wide range of outreach activities, including:
- The creation of a flyer on the use of Reiki in medical settings, titled Using Reiki Therapy to Complement Conventional Medical Treatment (September 2012)
- Hosting the Open Forum on Reiki in Medicine, a discussion between holistic health practitioners and medical doctors (May 2013)
- Volunteering to give Reiki treatments weekly at the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
- Making presentations on Reiki and offering mini-treatments to medical support organisations including the Barbados Heart and Stroke Foundation, the Hope Foundation, and the Asthma Association of Barbados.
- Publishing articles on Reiki in health magazines and newsletters.
- Regular participation at health fairs, including the recent Glaucoma Expo and the forthcoming Diabetes Association health fair.
The major event for the first half of 2014 will be a seminar on Managing Medical Stress with Reiki Practice, to be delivered to a first and second year medical students at UWI on April 16.
BRAMO’s key objectives for 2014 include: continued participation in outreach activities targeting the healthcare community; mass distribution of materials on Reiki in healthcare institutions; training nurses as Reiki practitioners; and participating in scientific research on Reiki.